Florence 9 year old's designs coin in UK

    A schoolgirl has won a once-in-a-lifetime chance to design a British coin.

    Florence Jackson beat 17,000 other entrants to win a Blue Peter competition to design the 50p coin celebrating the London 2012 Olympic Games. It shows a high-jumper in action.

    'I am so excited. It was a real surprise to win,' she said. 'I chose the high-jump because I'd watched it on TV before and thought it looked fun.
    Florence Jackson 9 year old
    Coining it in: Florence Jackson, 9, holds up a 50 pence coin featuring her design celebrating London 2012


    Florence Jackson 9 year old
    Well done: Florence Jackson, 9, is congratulated by Blue Peter presenter Andy Akinwolere and Denise Lewis

    'It was amazing to visit the Royal Mint and see my picture turned into a coin. I can't wait to see it in my pocket money!'

    The youngster was joined by Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis and Blue Peter presenter Andy Akinwolere at the Royal Mint to strike her first coin.

    'It was amazing to visit the Royal Mint and see my picture turned into a coin. I can't wait to see it in my pocket money!'

    The youngster was joined by Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis and Blue Peter presenter Andy Akinwolere at the Royal Mint to strike her first coin.

    The coin will be the first in a series of 50p coins to commemorate London 2012 that will appear next year.

    Lewis said: 'Florence has done all Olympians and Paralympians proud. Her design is simple and effective and I'm honoured to say I saw it first.

    'Florence is a very deserving winner and her coin is a great illustration of how everyone can be a part of London 2012.'

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews